Installing the PaperCut Print Client and Printers
Here are the basic steps for connecting to the PaperCut printing system, which will allow you to print to any shared printer on campus:
- Install and run the PaperCut Client software, and enter your Simon's Rock user ID and password. (You must run PCClient whenever you print)
- Install the central print queue. The server name is "print", and the queue name is "Central"
- Set this as your default printer.
Details are provided below for Windows, Macintosh and linux print setup.
Printing double-sided vs single-sided in Windows
In order to choose double-sided printing, after you choose to print a document (File > Print in most programs), select your printer and click "Preferences". From here, you can choose "Two-Sided (Duplex) Printing" to print double-sided or "General Everyday Printing" to print single-sided. If you print a large document single-sided you will be prompted by the papercut software to inform you that you would save paper by instead printing double-sided and are given an opportunity to change your print job before it is sent to the server.
Printing double-sided vs single-sided in OSX
In order to choose double-sided printing, after you choose to print a document (File > Print in most programs), to the right of the "Copies" field, check off "Two-Sided" and click print. If you print a large document single-sided you will be prompted by the papercut software to inform you that you would save paper by instead printing double-sided and are given an opportunity to change your print job before it is sent to the server.
Installing the PaperCut Client Software (PCClient):
The PCClient software serves to identify your print jobs to the PaperCut system. To print to a campus printer, PCClient must be running so you can login to PaperCut when you submit a print job.
Use the links below to download and run the proper PCClient installer for your system. (Note: you must be on-campus for these links to work)
These installers configure the PCClient software to run each time you log into your computer. After installation, PCClient will prompt you to login with your Simon's Rock user ID and password. (These are the same credentials you use for campus email and the "Inside" web pages. Note that your user ID is just the first part of your email address, not the @simons-rock.edu).
Finally, when you submit a print job, PCClient will pop up a login box. If you are running it on your own computer, you may specify that it shold save your credentials "Always," so that you do not need to re-enter your data each time you print. At shared library and lab computers, PaperCut will only allow you to save your login credentials for several minutes.
Installing the Central Printer:
With PaperCut, you print to a central virtual printer which will allow you to output your print job from any Print Release station on campus.
Mac Printer Install
- Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Print & Scan.
- Click the plus icon ("+") to add a new printer.
- At the top of the "Add" printer window, choose "IP", and select Protocol: "Line Printer Daemon - LPD"
- Enter "print" for "Address:"
- Enter "Central" for "Queue", and "Central" for "Name"
- For the "Use:" driver menu, select "Generic PCL Printer". (On older Macs that don't have this option, use "Generic PostScript Printer" instead, but check the menu to be sure you don't have PCL.)
- Click "Add" to add this printer. The opens the "Setting up 'Central'..." panel
- Put a check-mark in the box "Duplex Printing Unit", then "OK".
- Set this "Central" printer to be your default printer, using the "Selected Printer in Print Dialog" menu.
Windows Printer Install
- Move your cursor to the lower or upper right corner of the screen and then click the gear icon (settings) that appears.
- Click "Control Panel"
- Under "Hardware and Sound", click "View Devices and Printers"
- In the bar at the top of the window, click "Add a printer".
- The Printer Wizard will open. Select Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer. In the next window, select Select a shared printer by name. In the text field below it, type "\\print\Central"
- Click next, and a window will pop up informing you that your computer is automatically downloading and installing the necessary drivers.
- When this is finished, click next and choose to have this printer set as your default and to click Finish to finalize the installation.
- Open the Start Menu and select "Computer" to open a file browser window.
- In address bar at the top of the window, replace "Computer" with "\\print" and press "Enter"
- The Network > Print window will open, with icons for shared folders and printers on the print server
- Double-click the network printer icon labeled "Central". A window will open titled "Connecting to Central on Print." When it finishes, a printer window for Central is shown. Close this window.
- Now open your Control Panel > Devices and Printers tool. Right-click "Central on print" and select "Printing Preferences". Make two-sided printing the default choice.
- First download either this 32bit driver to your system or this 64bit driver. Once downloaded, run the program and extract the contents to "C:\HP LJ4200 PCL6 Driver".
- Open the Start Menu and select "Control Panel".
- In the control panel, select "Printers".
- Near the top of the window, click "Add a printer".
- Select "Add a local printer"
- Click "Create a new port" and choose "Type of port: Local Port"
- Click Next, and enter "\\print\central"
- Click Next, and then click "Have Disk"
- Click Browse and navigate to "C:\HP LJ4200 PCL6 Driver"
- Select "hpc4200c" and click "Open" then "OK"
- Select "HP Laserjet 4200 PCL 6" and click Next
- Set the printer as your default and click Next
- Open the Start Menu and select "Printers & Faxes".
- At the upper left, click "Add a printer" to start the add printer wizard, and press "Next >" to begin.
- Select "A Network Printer..." and "Next >"
- Select "Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this option and click Next):"
- Enter a "\\print\Central" then press "Next >"
- You will then be asked if you would like to allow the shared printer drivers to automatically be installed. Select Yes.
- Set this printer as your default printer and click "Finish" to add the printer.
Printing from Tablets and Smart Phones
Our Papercut printing system now features the ability to print from Tablets and Smart Phones. You are however limited to only printing PDF files.
- In your browser, go to https://print.simons-rock.edu:9192/app
- Click "Web Print"
- Click "Submit a Job"
- We have only the one Central printer, which should already be selected. Click "Print Options and Account Selection"
- Choose the number of copies and click "Upload Document"
- Click "Choose File" and locate the PDF file you wish to print
- Your print job has been submitted. Now go to a Print Release Station to release the print job
After you submit a job to the central server, PaperCut will pop-up a dialog box to remind you that the job is waiting in the queue for you to release it. If you do not see this prompt, you will need to resolve the problem and try to print again before you go to a release station to output your job.
You may also log in to the PaperCut server your printing history and also check which jobs you have queued for printing. Use the link above, or the "Details" link on the PCClient software window.
Confirm that the PCClient software is running before you print. On Windows, there should be a PCClient icon in the tray near the clock. On Macs, check that it is running in the Dock. Manually restart the PCClient program if it is not running.
If PCClient is running but does not pop up a login when you first print, confirm that you installed the printer using the exact addresses shown above. If you enter the wrong address for the print queue, PaperCut will not respond to your print requests.
Installing the PaperCut Client Software (PCClient):
Make sure you have a recent Java version installed on your computer (at least version 5)
Download the package from here and extract it with:
tar xjvf pcclient-linux.tar.bz2
If you don't login to your linux environment with the same username as your Simon's Rock account, drill down into the tree (by default it will open up in usr/local/papercut/client) and find the config.properties file. Edit this file and uncomment the #user=guest line, replacing "guest" with your Simon's Rock username.
Run the usr/local/papercut/client/pc-client-linux.sh file (or configure your machine to auto-start it whenever you login to your X graphical desktop environment)
Linux Printer Install
Assuming you use CUPS, login to the administrative interface at https://127.0.0.1:631/admin/ and add a network printer.
You will need to specify:
lpd://print/central as the address of the print queue.
Choose the HP 4200 pcl driver when prompted
Set up this printer to do double-sided printing as the default
You should be all set at this point to go ahead and submit jobs to your queue