Medical Emergency Procedures
For any on-campus emergency, dial ‘0’ or x7291 for the Security Department.
From a cell phone dial 413-528-7291.
For dire medical emergencies call ‘9-911’ directly, then call Security.
A medical emergency can occur anywhere on campus. The reaction of the victim or those around her/him can ensure quick arrival of trained emergency personnel.
What to do if someone is injured or becomes ill:
- Stay Calm.
- Contact the Security Department and explain the type of emergency, the location of the victim and the condition of the victim. Let the dispatcher know of any safety hazards - chemical spill, fire, fumes, etc.
- Be sure to tell the dispatcher if the person is unconscious, not breathing, is bleeding profusely or has chest pain. These are all cause to immediately summon an ambulance.
- Do not hang up unless told to do so by the dispatcher.
- Do not move the victim unless there is danger of further injury if s/he is not moved.
- Do not give victim anything to eat or drink.
- Security and/or Residence Life staff will quickly respond to the scene. EMTs will respond if necessary.
- Security Department staff are trained as Massachusetts First Responders. All officers receive annual re-certification in CPR and the use of the department's Automatic External Defibrillators.
If you have a medical condition that might require special attention by our staff, please contact Director Ken Geremia, x7680, to discuss your situation.