Gifts of Appreciated Securities to Bard College at Simon’s Rock
Often a gift of appreciated securities is a very tax-effective way to support Simon’s Rock.
When you donate appreciated stocks to Simon’s Rock, you avoid the capital gains tax you would have paid if you sold the asset. If you have owned the securities for longer than twelve months, you also receive an income tax charitable deduction for their full fair-market value. These tax savings – both in income and capital gains taxes – make gifts of securities a popular alternative to cash.
If you wish to maintain this particular stock in your portfolio, consider giving Simon’s Rock the stock and using the cash you would have donated to purchase the same securities in the open market. The newly acquired shares will then carry the current market value as their cost basis, an easy way to reduce future capital gains tax liability.
For all US Stocks and Securities:
To make a gift of stock to Bard College at Simon’s Rock please provide these instructions to your broker or bank officer.
- Before initiating the transfer, please have your broker contact Katie Levine:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By FAX: 413-644-4774
By US Post:Katie Levine
Advancement Operations Manager
Office of Institutional Advancement
Bard College at Simon’s Rock
84 Alford Road
Great Barrington, MA 01230
- To electronically transfer securities Bard College at Simon’s Rock, direct funds to:
Merrill Lynch Wealth ManagementDTC number5198BeneficiaryBard College at Simon’s RockAccount number796-02085MemoProvide purpose of the gift, the name of securities and the number of shares.
NOTE: If you hold the stock certificates:
- Please do not send them to Merrill Lynch. Please deliver them unendorsed to Bard College at Simon’s Rock, attention Katie Levine, at the address above, with documentation describing the asset(s) and the purpose of the gift.
- In a separate envelope, deliver the signed stock/bond power for each asset (exactly as the name appears on the certificate), to the address as above.
- Please do not complete any other section of the stock/bond power.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is a 501(c)3 not for profit organization.
Federal ID number is: 14-1713034.