Power Failure Procedures
For any on-campus emergency, dial ‘0’ or x7291 for the Security Department.
From a cell phone dial 413-528-7291.
- Emergency Lighting - Campus buildings are equipped with battery powered emergency lighting that will provide some light in most common spaces, particularly along means of egress.
- Security will assess the extent of the power outage (all or part of campus) and seek from the power company an estimate on the duration of the outage. This information will be distributed to the Residence Directors.
- Information about the outage can be attained from the Residence Directors and Peer Advocates.
- Stay away from downed power lines, trees, or any structure damaged in a storm.
- As always, all community members are encouraged to report any safety concerns to Security or Residence Directors as soon as possible. All corded telephones will work. Use a hall phone if you have a cordless phone in your room.
- Internet and Email - The campus computer network will not be available during a power outage. Our server is backed up by a battery and will remain on to protect data and to avoid problems with restarting the system. However, on campus connections to the server will not have power.
- Telephones - Corded telephones and all dormitory common area phones will continue to function normally. Cordless telephones need full power to work and will not function during a power outage.
- The College’s Emergency Alert System is hosted off campus, will remain fully functional, and will be used if necessary.
- Buildings and areas immediately closed in a power outage – The DAC Shop building, the McConnell Theatre, and all laboratory rooms in the Fisher Science and Academic Center.
- Buildings immediately closed during power outages after sunset - The Kilpatrick Athletic Center, Daniel Arts Center, and the Fisher Science and Academic Center. Other non-residential buildings may be closed as necessary.
- Classes will proceed as normal unless otherwise posted on the exterior doors of the residence halls, the Alumni Library, Academic Affairs Office, and the Dining Hall bulletin board. Evening classes may be relocated or canceled.
Long Term Power Outages:
- If it is determined that the power will be out for an extended period of time, the College generator will provide power for lower campus.
- If necessary, students living on upper campus will be temporarily relocated until full power is fully restored.