For any on-campus emergency, dial ‘0’ or x7291 for the Security Department.
From a cell phone dial 413-528-7291.
Fire and the associated dangers of smoke, structural damage, or toxic releases can pose serious threats of injury and death to students, employees, visitors, and emergency response personnel. In order to control a fire and minimize its damage, the following steps should be taken immediately:
- Leave the area at once.
- Pull the fire alarm.
- Alert other people in the area and instruct them to leave the building.
- Close, Do Not Lock, all doors and windows if you can safely do so to help contain the fire.
- Stay as low as possible to avoid smoke and heat.
- Evacuate the building calmly but quickly.
- Do not use elevators.
- Go directly to the designated assembly area* and await additional instructions. Report anyone who is missing and who was in your classroom or area when the evacuation began to emergency responders.
- All residential building fire alarms will immediately dispatch the Great Barrington Fire Department. Regardless, as soon as possible, call the Security Department.
- Remain at the assembly area until you are instructed how to proceed by Security staff or the Great Barrington Fire Department.
- Alert emergency responders of your location by whistling, shouting or using an object to beat on walls, floor in a rhythmic manner.
- If a telephone is available, call the Security Department and notify them of your location; you may also place an article of clothing or other device to use as a signal in a window, if a window is available.
- Stuff material in door cracks to minimize smoke and try to stay low, near the floor, where heat, smoke, and contaminants may be less.
Do NOT try to fight a fire; leave any building and report to a safe meeting area away from the building.
*Residence Building evacuation meeting areas:
- Tri-dorms – Veranda
- Hill House – traffic circle outside main entrance
- Foster Houses – Drop-off parking area
- Carriage House and Cottage – Pole Barn parking area
- Pibly – Far side of Fox Run
Administrative Building evacuation meeting areas:
- Alumni Library: Rear parking lot
- Blodgett House – Kellogg circle
- College Center - Rear parking lot
- Classrooms - Rear parking lot
- Daniel Arts Center - Secondary lot across Gate house road
- Dining Hall – Kellogg circle
- Fisher Center - Parking lot
- ITS - Rear parking lot
- Kellogg - Kellogg circle
- Kilpatrick athletic Center - Parking lot
- Lecture Center - Rear parking lot
- Liebowitz - Lawn across Hulbert Avenue next to Red Brick house
- Livingston Student Union - Upper Hill House parking lot