Meet the Faculty
Provost and Vice President of the College
US social and cultural history
Division: Social Studies
Hall College Center
p: 413 528-7239
f: 413 528-7390
PhD, History, University of Michigan, 2000
MA, History, University of Michigan, 1992
BA, Religious Studies, Brown University, 1986
Provost and Vice President, Bard College at Simon's Rock 2011-present
Dean of Faculty, Concord Academy 2008-2011
Department Head, Department of History, Concord Academy 2003-2008
Department of History, Concord Academy, 1999-2011
Visiting Fellow, College Access Foundation of California (San Francisco, CA) January-June, 2007
Teacher, Department of History, San Francisco University High School 1987-1990
Visiting Instructor, Department of History, Bowdoin College 1996 - 1997
Visiting Lecturer, Gender and Women's Studies Program, Grinnell College April, 1996
Areas of Interest:
My primarily field of interest is the history of gender in American culture, especially the history of masculinity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I'm also interested in American social history more broadly, and topics of research and teaching include the history of American religion and medicine and middle-class identity formation.
- No Genius for Marriage: Bachelorhood in Urban America, 1870-1950 under contract with Cornell University Press.
- "Bachelorhood" in Encyclopedia of Men and Masculinity (Sage Publications, 2003), 45-47.
- "He Said, She Said" in Commonplace: A Journal of Early American History 1:1 (September, 2000) at http://www.common-place.org/vol-01/no-01/.
- "'Kiss without shame, for she desires it': Sexual foreplay in American marital advice literature, 1900-1925", Journal of Social History 29:3 (Spring 1996): 507-525.
- "And the Walls Came Crumbling Down: The Rise and Fall of the Michigan School of Religion", Michigan Historical Review 21:2 (Fall, 1995): 93-123.
- "From Boudoir to Bookstore: Writing the History of Sexuality", Comparative Studies in Society and History 34:4 (October 1992): 636-644.
- Review of The Geography of Perversion: Male-to-Male Sexual Behavior Outside the West and the Ethnographic Imagination, 1750-1918 by Rudi Bleys in Men and Masculinities 1:2 (October 1998), 233-235.
- Review of "Violent Land: Single Men and Social Disorder from the Frontier to the Inner City" by David Courtwright in Journal of Social History 30:4 (Summer, 1997): 1012-1014.
- Review of "From the Other Side: Women, Gender, and Immigrant Life in the U.S., 1820-1990" by Donna Gabaccia in The Western Historical Quarterly 26:4 (Winter, 1995), 531-532.
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan, 1995-96
- Fellowship, Michigan Institute for the Humanities, 1994-95
- Rackham Research Partnership, University of Michigan, 1993-94
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship in the Humanities and Social Sciences, 1993
- Regent's Fellowship, University of Michigan, 1990-94
- Election to Phi Beta Kappa 1986