Meet the Faculty
MFA, Columbia University
BA, Williams College
North Adams State College
Fulbright Fellow at the University of Vienna from 1983 to 1985
Areas of Interest:
Writing • literature • translation
Research Interests/Professional Service:
- 1981 to 1983, Assistant editor of Parnassus: Poetry in Review
- 1998 and 1999 – Service on the jury for the Helen and Kurt Wolff Translator's Prize awarded by the Goethe Institute of Chicago
Dr. Filkins' translation of the complete poems of Ingeborg Bachmann, Songs in Flight (Marsilio 1994), was named an outstanding translation of 1994 by the American Literary Translators Association. His first book of poems, What She Knew, appeared from Orchises Press in 1998, and his translation of a novel by Alois Hotschnig, Leonardo's Hands, was published by the University of Nebraska Press in 1999. In that same year, Northwestern University Press brought out his translation of two novel fragments by Bachmann titled "The Book of Franza" and "Requiem for Fanny Goldmann". In 2002, his second book of poems, After Homer, appeared from George Braziller Publishers and in 2006 a second, expanded edition of Bachmann's poems, Darkness Spoken, was published by Zephyr Press. In 2008 his translation of H.G. Adler’s novel The Journey was published by Random House, which also published his translation of Adler’s novel Panorama in 2011. In 2010 he received the New American Press Chapbook Award for his third collection of poems, Augustine’s Vision, and his fourth collection, The View We’re Granted, is due out from Johns Hopkins University Press in 2012. His poetry, translations, and criticism have appeared in numerous journals, including the New Republic, the American Scholar, the New Criterion, Paris Review, Agni, the American Poetry Review, Partisan Review, the Iowa Review, the Literary Review, the Southwest Review, Verse, TriQuarterly, Poetry, the Massachusetts Review, Poetry Criticism, Contemporary Literary Criticism, USA Today, The World & I, the Los Angeles Times Book Review, and the New York Times Book Review.
- 1989, 1993, 1997, 2003, and 2008 – Residencies at the Yaddo Artists Colony, the Millay Colony for the Arts, and the MacDowell Colony.
- 1997, 2003, and 2007 – Research grants by the Austrian Society for Literature and translation support grants by the Austrian Bundesministerium.
- 1998 – Finalist Award in Poetry from the Massachusetts Cultural Commission.
- 1998 and 1999 – Served on the jury for the Helen and Kurt Wolff Translator’s Prize awarded by the Goethe Institute of Chicago.
- 2005 – Commerzbank Fellow at the American Academy in Berlin while working on a translation of H.G. Adler's Eine Reise.
- 2007 – Received a Distinguished Translation Award from the Austrian Ministry for Education, Art, and Culture, as well as the Stover Prize in Poetry from Southwest Review.
- 2010 – New American Press Chapbook Award
- 2011 – DAAD Faculty Research Fellowship to the Deutsches Literaturarchiv
- 2012 – Writer-in-residence, James Merrill House, Stonington, CT
Mr. Filkins co-coordinates the Poetry and Fiction Series at Bard College at Simon’s Rock.