Meet the Faculty
M.F.A., Yale University School of Art, New Haven, CT.
Yale Summer School of Art, Graduate Student in Residence, Norwalk, CT.
B.F.A. with honors, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY.
Prior to Simon’s Rock Mr. La Spina worked as an archivist at the architectural photography firm, Esto, in Mamaroneck, New York. In addition, he has been an instructor at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. He continues to photograph for a variety of commercial clients and his work has appeared editorial publications including The New York Times Magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek and The Wire.
- 2012 Picturesque Cincinnati: Then and Now, Architectural Foundation of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2012 Picturesque Cincinnati, Hillman Jackson Gallery, Simon’s Rock, Great Barrington, MA.
- 2011 History of a Village: Mamaroneck at the Mamaroneck Public Library, NY.
- 2008 2 Lovers’ Lane, Yale Summer School of Music and Art, Norfolk, CT.
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 2013 On Time and Place: Celebrating Scenic Hudson’s First 50 Years, Hudson Opera House, Hudson, NY; Long Dock Park, Beacon, NY; Hudson River Museum, Yonkers, NY; Grand Central Terminal, New York, NY.
- 2012 The Viewshed, with Bryan Graf. The Dutch, Saugerties, NY.
- 2012 Faculty Art Exhibition, Hillman Jackson Gallery, Simon’s Rock, Great Barrington, MA.2010 Amen Break, with R. Prince, M. Kippenberger, Galerie Thomas Flor, Dusseldorf.
- 2010 Amen Break, with R. Prince, M. Kippenberger, Galerie Thomas Flor, Dusseldorf.
- 2009 Blind Spot Benefit Auction, Jason Fulford, curator, X initiative, New York, NY.
- 2009 Earth Fire Wind Water, curated by Leah Dixon, Andy Cushman, New York, NY.
- 2009 Remember Me When I’m Dead, curated by Alison Brady, Fleetwing Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2009 We Belong Together, Capricious Space, Gallery 339, Philadelphia and Eighth Veil, LA.
- 2009 Yale M.F.A. Photography Exhibition, Green Gallery, New Haven, CT.
- 2009 J&L Books Showcase at the Aperture Foundation Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2008 15th Anniversary Blind Spot Benefit Auction, David Zwirner, New York, NY.
- 2008 Wave Farm Performances: 2006-2007, free103point9, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2008 Various Photographs, Tim Barber, curator. New York Photo Festival, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2007 [silence], Gigantic Art Space, Galen Joseph-Hunter, curator, New York, NY.
- Rothman, Aaron. Landscape Photography: New Visions. Places Journal Foundation: 2012.
- Joseph-Hunter, Galen, Penny Duff & Maria Papadomanolaki. Transmission Arts: Artists and Airwaves. PAJ Publications: 2011.
- Muhlke, Christine. Field Report (Series). The New York Times Magazine: 2009-2011.
- History of a Village: Mamaroneck. J & L Books (limited edition series): 2010.
- The Open Daybook. Edited by David Earle. Mark Batty/Random House: 2010.
- Larchmont/Mamaroneck: The Inventory of Several Estates. Blind Spot Issue 41: 2009.
- Graham, Paul. Yale M.F.A. 2009: We Belong Together. Yale University: 2009.
- Various Photographs. Edited by Tim Barber. TV Books: New York: 2008.
- History of a Village: Mamaroneck. Blind Spot Issue 35: 2007.
- Paper Placemats ATL. J & L Books with Atlanta Celebrates Photography: 2007.
2012-2011 Faculty Development Grant, Bard College at Simon’s Rock
2009 Nominee, The Baum Prize for Photography.
2009 Portfolio Review, The Center for Photography at Woodstock.
2008 and 2007 Nominee, PDN 30 photographers to watch.
2007 Nominee, Sante Fe Prize for Photography at Center.
2007 Nominee, Society of Photographers’ 10x10 Project.
2005 Rochester Advertising Federation ADDY
Currently, he co-hosts a monthly photography radio show: Blind Spot Radio.